Toilet paper was first discovered and developed by Britain Perforated Company. Generally, it was rough paper contrary to the one used today. 18th century another company by the name Scott Paper Company from America came up with a more modified toilet paper.
The paper was perforated and contained in a lavatory dispenser, which had modified teeth to cut toilet paper into different sizes according to one’s needs.
The paper in this modern err is the same as one made by American company despite a few modifications in terms of color and scent. Otherwise, the tissues remain perforated.
Due to the outbreak of the Corona Virus (COVID 19), Most of the households are running off toilet stock the reason behind; manufacturing industries is also at a smokestack. Raw materials lowly supplied; most of the workers are in-door, and this has impacted the supply of the Toilet paper.
Most of the suppliers are on self- quarantine of unknown period, and therefore Toilet paper industries remain closed. Coronavirus is a threat to the economy, has claimed a lot of life, signs include high fever, sneezing, Running nose, tiredness, and sole throat.
How toilet paper is made
Toilet paper is made from various materials, wood pulp, bamboo pulp, recycled pulp, among others. The primary source of the toilet paper is trees; toilet paper is the product of Hardwood tree and softwood tree combination.
Softwood such as pine tree have long fibers; hence the can wrap around each other, this I very paramount in giving the tissue paper strength.
Hardwood, for example, the Oaktree has short fibers. This is critical in providing Toilet paper soft feeling.
In the manufacturing industries, softwood and hardwood are combined in the ratio of 3:7, respectively. Additionally, from other manufacturing industries, Toilet paper is made from a recycled product such used cartons, plastics, or any biodegradable material.
The recycling process reduces pollution, and also employment creation to the young generation.
Toilet paper manufacturing process
Trees (hardwood and softwood) on arrival to the milling industry the bark is removed leaving behind logs; a process called debarking. Debarked logs are cut into proportions, size of 1 inch by 0.25 inch. The chips are then mixed with cooking chemicals; this done in a chamber called a digester.
In the chamber, the mixture is exposed to higher pressure and high temperature, resulting in the formation of fluid-like called slurry. For slurry to establish, take an estimated 3 hours where water from the material is lost through evaporation, this reduces the amount of water in the slurry, resulting in another product known as pulp.
The pulp material is washed and mixed with water to form the product known as paper stock.
The paper stock is passed through a moving mesh and a heating chamber with the intention of draining remaining water. The paper stock finally is rolled into a paper log- now referred to as toilet paper.
The main purpose of using toilet paper
An average adult is estimated to have used 100 rolls of toilet paper in a year.
Toilet paper can be used for making bathroom chore, wiping tears, sweats, spills, mucus, and anticipated mucus. Toilet paper is one of the most essential sanitary, a personal item.
Therefore, it should be kept clean for hygiene and health purpose. Different from other sanitary items (bathroom towel, water tubs, urinals, sinks), toilet paper is smooth, bulky, and can easily be reduced into small fragments in water; hence toilet paper is an excellent absorbent material.
Additionally, the toilet paper is commonly known for wiping fecal around the anal region. Also, due to its absorbent property is qualified for wiping and drying urine remnant from both male and female reproductive system.
Generally, toilet paper can be used to get rid of any fluid secreted in a human’s body.
How toilet paper needs to be used
Using toilet paper can embarrassing, especially if one is applying for the first time, also it can be annoying if a person has no idea how it is used.
The painful truth is that most people use toilet paper but misuse it. Toilet paper as a sanitary item; personal items should be appropriately used and in the right way. Using Toilet paper well, especially during this Corona Virus (COVID 19) era, is a vital control measure for the spread of this deadly disease.
It is seen that this viral disease is spreading globally. Corona Virus transmission mainly is through contact; therefore, one can depict how wrong use of the toilet paper can be risky.
To make matters worse most of the toilets are not equipped with water. Ironically, the users are ignorant to carry with them water to rinse their hands.
In conclusion, the use of toilet paper and using it in the right way plays a vital in curbing the spread of this contagious disease- the Coronavirus (COVID 19).
Steps on how to use the toilet paper in the right way.
Is mentioned earlier, to stop the spread of this contagious disease, it takes collective measures, and using toilet paper in the right way is one of them—these steps to follow.
- After the defection process is done, one is recommended to remain seated, in order to carry out the wiping activity. During wiping, process one takes a squired piece of toilet paper and wipe round the cheeks cautiously, avoiding the contact as possible as one can.
Apply moderate pressure in the cheeks as the wiping process continues. Wiping should be done from arterial toward the posterior, starting with the index, middle, and finally, the ring finger.
- During the wiping process, relax sphincter muscles to ensure a successful wipe.
- As process (wiping) continues the toilet paper should be reduced by folding and then disposed
- Step one is repeated by getting another toilet paper, but in this case, the pressure is an increase during the wiping process. Here a sphincter muscle is still relaxed.
- Step 4 is separated several times until all “leftovers” are removed. This then supplemented with a wet wipe. Wet wipe rare done reason being most is the toilets are not supplied with water.
- Finally, flushing is done, clothing, lastly, washing hands with soap or detergent for at least 20 seconds. This is followed by a rinsing hand with water and drying them as well.
Recommendation carries water, toilet paper, and detergent with you every time you are attending the toilet or urinal. These can help fight the spread of Coronavirus (COVID 19).
The alternatives for toilet paper
People are equipped in various ways to prevent the spread of Corona (COVID 19). Globally, the economy is at stack industries, and manufacturing companies are paralyzed by the Corona Virus (COVID 19). Some items are being depleted from the houses.
Among essential things, toilet paper has massively reduced in the market. This worries almost every person, many asking by next in case one runs out of the toilet paper?.
Worry no more because there are numerous alternatives that can substitute the toilet paper.
- Buying of a bidet a bathroom-tub- like structure which should be fixed close to a toilet. Here one has to sit on a bath-tub structure where one has to run water and conduct the cleansing to themselves, followed by the drying up a towel.
- Recycling other papers. Such can use pages of the old books, magazines, used up paper bags and envelops among other papers
- Peoples will be forced to purchase washable towels. Old towels can be used as an alternative toilet paper where they are cut in small pieces. After use, the tower should be washed us hot water and detergent and be left to dry. The limitation of this one is supposed to have two more pieces.
- People will be forced to shower immediately after attending the toilet.
- In case the shortage of toilet paper escalates, borrowing/buy from neighbors not optional. Considering the spreading of the virus, this now turns to be a perilous alternative. One will be forced to embark on traditional toilet paper an alternative. For instance, the use of plant leaves, use of disposable soil/earth, especially to the people living in arid areas.
- Use of the old clothes which can be cut into small pieces then after use it should be soaked in hot water or salty water- here act as disinfectant/ detergent.
- If the (COVID 19) Coronavirus continues to spread widely, people will be forced to go Indian way, where one carries water/ water sprayer whenever attending the toilet.
Covid 19 is a contagious disease spreading widely through contact with an infected person, also can spread by sneezing from an infected person.
Coronavirus has shut the whole world total silence, locking many different businesses globally, including the Toilet paper industry.
Alternative toilet paper mechanisms if observed and adhered to can help prevent the spread of viruses of COVID 19.
Using toilet paper properly, Washing hands with detergent and rinsing them will help us cut down the range of COVID 19 to zero.
Stay at home and safe!